Published Collections of English Translations of Early Christian Writings
- “A Library of Fathers of the Holy Catholic Church”, edited by Members of the Anglican Church. (published 1838-1881)
- “Ante-Nicene Christian Library”, edited by Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson. (published 1867-1885) — This 24 volume set was one of the first very large collection of translations of early Christian writings into English. All of the material in the set plus some extra material was republished a short time later as the “Ante-Nicene Fathers”.
- “Ante-Nicene Fathers”, edited by A. Cleveland Coxe (published 1885-1897) — This 10 volume set is mostly a reissuing of the Ante-Nicene Christian Library, arranged more chronologically and with some additional material. This still remains the lagest collection of the early Christain writings into English.
- “The Apostolic Fathers”, by Kirsopp Lake (published 1912 & 1913 by Harvard University/Loeb Classical Library) — This two volume set of some of the earliest Christian writings outside the New Testament has Greek (or other languages, where the original Greek is not available) as well as English translations.
- “Some Authentic Acts of the Early Martyrs” (published 1927) — facsimile
- “Ancient Christian Writers Series” (published 1946-present)
- “Fathers of the Church Series” (published 1947-present)
- “The Apostolic Fathers—An American Translation” (published in 1950) — This single volume contains many of the earliest Christian writings outside the New Testament.
- “Early Christian Fathers” (published 1953) This single volume contains some of the earliest Christian writings outside the New Testament plus some of the early apologies for Christianity.
- “The Apostolic Fathers: A New Translation and Commentary”, edited by Robert M. Grant (published 1964-1968 by Thomas Nelson & Sons) — This six volume set contains new translations and significant commentary on some of the early Christian writings outside of the New Testament.
- “Second-Century Christianity: A Collection of Fragments”, by Robert M. Grant (second edition published 2003, first edition published 1946 by Westmister John Knox Press) — This small book is a collection of various fragments and small writings by and about early Christians of the second century.
Please send reports of missing translations, broken links or other errors/omissions to email@example.com.